Friday, December 23, 2016

A Ghazal by Mir Taqi Mir

This Ghazal was partially rendered by the legendary Lata Mangeshkar in the film Bazaar:



Written by Mir Taqi Mir (18th century), the full Ghazal follows:

फ़कीराना आए सदा कर चले
मियाँ खुश रहो हम दुआ कर चले
Mendicant like i came and part
Praying that you be blessed.
जो तुझ बिन न जीने को कहते थे हम
सो इस अहद को अब वफ़ा कर चले
Without you i would not live,
Behold, this pledge i now redeem.
कोई ना-उम्मीदाना करते निगाह
सो तुम हम से मुँह भी छिपा कर चले
A hopeless glance I could have cast,
But you even hid your face walking past me.
बहुत आरज़ू थी गली की तेरी
सो याँ से लहू में नहा कर चले
I longed to come your way
And I started from here (याँ से) bathed in blood.
दिखाई दिए यूं कि बेखुद किया
हमें आप से भी जुदा कर चले
With just a glimpse, you left me entranced,
estranged from self, i have been since.
जबीं सजदा करते ही करते गई
हक-ऐ-बंदगी हम अदा कर चले
A long obeisance was my life,
My debt of homage i have paid.
परस्तिश की याँ तैं कि ऐ बुत तुझे
नज़र में सबों की खुदा कर चले
I worshiped you so deeply as a body,
That people took you for a god.
गई उम्र दर बंद-ऐ-फिक्र-ऐ-ग़ज़ल
सो इस फ़न को ऐसा बड़ा कर चले
A life spent in verses, stanzas and poems
Thus have I nourished this passion.
कहें क्या जो पूछे कोई हम से “मीर”
जहाँ में तुम आए थे, क्या कर चले
What shall I say if someone asks
"Mir", you were born, but to what avail?

No comments: